OC2 with KB!
  • erika November 2017
    I got to paddle in an OC2 with Kai Bartlett tonight, my last night on Maui! He was running a small boat practice so I worked harder than I was prepared for but I gutted it out and it was worth it, we surfed amazing waves, battled some strong headwinds and managed to stay upright -such a thrill! Good news is he said a lot of the same things we do. Some things he emphasized: reaching for the water, burying fully at the catch (no cavitation), reach the bottom shoulder forward...sound familiar? :) He didn't have me shorten my stroke downwind, he said time in the water was important, shorten to increase boat speed when pushing for a wave or catching another boat. I kept the same rate into the wind and downwind. I wish I asked him more...but I could barely talk!

Before we started our practice the high school kids were out for their practice. I counted 18 OC6s! I watched them do timing, blending and turning drills for probably 25 minutes, in a loop between 2 buoys about 500m apart. Fun to watch these kids paddle and handle the boats and the surf like pros.

Looking forward to paddling in 2018...springtime!

Happy Paddling!
    Erika

Attachments
    20171109_181721.jpg 2M
  • KatherynJNKatherynJN November 2017
    WOW...That's so fantastic!!! Thanks so much Erika for sharing your experience and passing on your wisdom!!!

• TonyHTonyH November 2017
    Wow, you're so lucky, thanks Erika! I'm so looking forward to our downwind camp with Kai next August!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership